Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We've decided the following for the Granaboard website:

1. It'll be kept separate from Proto Omega (the prototype you saw) and the message board (this one), but every site will link to each other and they'll be part of the same community.

2. It will not partner with other Grandia sites for now.

3. It'll be moved to a better host whenever possible.

4. It'll cover Grandia 1 and Grandia 3 as well.

5. Veteran volunteers will take care of submissions once the site becomes active again (with the G1 and G3 contents).

????

Now let's talk about point five. As you read I'll be accepting veteran Granaboard members as part of the staff to work on the Granaboard website. These members may, but do not have to be the same staff that moderates the message board, of course.

Cataferal, Templar Zeratul and Melfice kindly offered to help. I'm very thankful for this. You may reiterate or retract your offer here. You may also join or quit later if you desire so. But before you decide let's review the job:

A typical maintenance iteration is:
    - Check our Granaboard email address for new submissions (you'll be given the name and password and you'll have to keep it safe or memorize it)
    - Read new submission and extract file, title, and author
    - Analyze new submission and decide validity, Grandia game it applies, age rating
    - Convert or reformat it to a suitable format if it's not already (happens 15% of times)
    - Download the required index files to edit them in your computer
    - Make a new multipart page if it's a multipart fanfic (happens 5% of times) or add a new multipart entry if it's a multipart fanfic (happens 10% of times)
    - Edit the appropiate section index file (fanfics, fanart, whatever) to add it
    - Edit the news page to add the news
    - Move old news to the old news page (happens 50% of times)
    - Upload what's changed plus the new item

The requirements for the job would be:
    - Time: I can't predict how much will it take, it all depends on submissions. I doubt you'd need to spend more than 1 hour a week (up to 3 hours in the most active week, no hours in some weeks). (Of course this is just my guessing.)
    - Online availability: You'll need to be online at least three times a week to check for email and message board PMs. On busy weeks just once is ok.
    - Chat availability: You'll need an AIM or MSN account to chat when we need to (the first day, for example).
    - FTP: You may need to use an FTP client, like FileZilla, to upload/download files to and from the host. There are many free clients, like FileZilla. If you don't know how to use it I'll explain it to you.
    - Basic HTML: You'll need basic HTML knowledge to edit the pages in the right places. You don't need skills or knowledge to create new webpages at all, all you'll need to do is to modify a couple lines here and there with a text editor (like Notepad, not an HTML editor like FrontPage). I'll teach you what you need to do this.
    - Responsibility: You'll need to properly quit the team if you need (no problem if you do, even if you want to quit but keep posting or moderating!), to let us know if you cannot check for mail at all in the next week, and to protect the passwords required to do the job.

We'd start with it in about a week. (Note: This does not depend on whether PΩ is launched or not.)

Comment/ask everything you need to know before deciding. Thanks!

????

There are other positions open if you want to help:

- I'll need somebody with Paint Shop Pro/Photoshop/GIMP skills to do a new Granaboard logo for the website. You'll get the "GRANABOARD" text in a high-res image to be the topmost layer; what you need to change is the background, using stuff from all three Grandias.

- If you have a good idea for a new background for the main page and/or the index pages, let me know.

- If you can take care of submitting the site to web crawlers and directories once we add G1/G3 support, let me know.

- If you're up for some work, and you'd like to rework the whole site, we need to talk. You'll need advanced HTML and basic CSS skills for this. If nobody is up for this, we'll keep the current Granaboard website because I don't have time to change it and it's acceptable (it's not the bomb, not even good for today's standards, but doesn't suck ass).

Again, comments/questions/suggestions all welcome.

Senior Hostboard Member Hell Knight's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Good luck Wise, I don't think I can help sadly, but I'm with you guys ^_^

Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just leave somewhere in the boards what would you need.

<font color="#345E81" size="1">[ April 18, 2005 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Melfice ]</font>

Senior Hostboard Member Dreamer7000's Avatar
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice plans Miguel! Hope we'll achieve them.